From:
"John A. Bing" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Mar 1998 18:01:06 GMT
On Sun, 15 Mar 1998 21:18:06 -0600, you wrote:

>Hello-
>
>        I current serve on the board of directors of a local historical society
>which administers a smaller historical museum.  We are considering "going in"
>with another museum society to newer grounds but are unsure where to begin.
>Both groups would like to preserve some autonomy (e.g. separate boards of
>directors and exhibit areas) yet be able to consolidate and share some
>expenses (e.g. bathrooms, library, gift shop, etc.).  Can anyone recommend
>some sources of information on how to begin planning such a "wedding" of two
>separate entities into one site?  I'm sure this sort of thing has been done
>many times before and we would appreciate any words of wisdom from those who
>have gone through the process.
>
>Many thanks
>
>Colin Croft

Colin,
        I am a member of the Board of an art museum that just last
year broke free from a merger that should never have happened.
Although our circumstances do not compare with what you describe
above, I think there are lessons learned that may help you decide.
These are my own opinions of what happened and what was learned.

Briefly, two years ago, the trustees of two art museums in two nearby
cities decided to merge for the sake of economies, and to form a much
bigger and grander museum for the county.  It would mean consolidating
in one city, not ours.  We were told that the merger was needed to
save our museum from financial failure however, no proof was ever
given of this and the voting on the merger was conducted under
suspicious circumstances.  After a year of fighting, we got our museum
back, less some ransom.

Lessons learned:
        1. To succeed, a merger must have the support of the
communities involved, and not just the trustees.
        2. The merger advocates must be open and honest about all
aspects of the museums and the plans for the future.
        3.  The plans and supporting financial data for the merger
must  be made available.

John Bing
Laguna Beach, CA
Laguna Beach, CA