From:
"B.Craig" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Dec 1994 10:33:28 +1030

>I am seeking photographs of women wearing hats adorned with aigrettes
>(bird feather plumes) dating in the 1890s or thereabouts.
>
>The Massachusetts Audubon Society is preparing an exhibition for its
>Centennial celebration in 1995-6.  The Society was founded by women who
>were alarmed by the huge numbers of birds that were being killed for the
>sake of fashion, and so we would like the exhibition to include
>photographs showing feather apparel.  If there are actual hats, etc. in
>good condition, I would also be interested.  Any leads at all would be
>appreciated.  Are there other lists where you recommend I post this
>request?  You can e-mail me directly, since this is not likely to be a
>topic of general interest!
>
>Amy Montague
>Art Collection Coordinator
>Massachusetts Audubon Society

Just a couple of points that may be of interest to you:
a) Peter Matthiessen wrote a fictionalised biography of a rather interesting
character who knocked around the Florida swamps and the subject of egret
plumes came up in the story. Book called 'Killing Mister Watson'.
b) a topic of similar nature but different geography is the killing of birds of
paradise in New Guinea and trade in their plumes, both within New Guinea
for local or neighbours' use for ceremonial or decorative headdresses, or
trade by Malays back west as far as China. There was even a myth about
the b. of par. that it had no legs, flew without rest and mated in the air etc.
because the plumes consisted of the whole pelt but without the legs. Birds
of Paradise plumes were the subject of legislation in Papua New Guinea
early in this century, to protect them from the threat of extinction. The
Prehistory Curator at the Papua New Guinea National Museum is about to
publish a book that, at least in part, deals with the B. of Para. trade. Her
name is Pamela Swadling, PNG National Museum & Art Gallery, PO Box 5560,
Boroko, NCD, Papua New Guinea (if you want to avoid researching a
mountain of historical data]. Cheers...    Barry Craig