From:
Tod Hopkins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 Apr 2014 08:52:44 -0400
On Apr 12, 2014, at 10:42 PM, Lawrence Fisher <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Actually, what you are discussing is what is defined as "leading," Pronounced like "ledding" and not "leeding."

That was a great explanation of leading, but I believe the original poster was referring to the old practice of typing two space characters between sentences rather than one.  The answer to both questions is similar.  Two spaces between sentences and double-line spacing are both shortcuts that became popular because they improved the legibility of typewritten documents.  Anyone taught to use a typewriter was taught to use two spaces between sentences.

The practice was never “correct" for properly typeset documents using proportional fonts, only for typewritten documents which used proportional, or “monospaced," fonts.

In the real world, the practice persists in casual writing.  It is a deeply ingrained habit for many of us and does not harm the legibility of a document.  You may notice that I’m am using two spaces in this email.  I continue the habit in email because email is one of the few places where non-proportional fonts linger.  Besides, I like it, so any excuse is a good excuse.

When I do formal documentation, I work hard to suppress the habit.  Fortunately, modern word processing software also considers two spaces “wrong” and flags this for me.  ;)

Cheers,
             tod