From:
Eric Swanson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Aug 2009 19:50:49 -0400
MS205/6a: Disaster Plan Research and Writing
              Aug 31 - Oct 9, 2009
              Price: $425
              Instructor: Terri Schindel
              Location: http://museumclasses.org/training/trol_classes_ms205a.html

Every museum needs to be prepared for fires, floods, chemical spills, tornadoes, hurricanes and other disasters. But surveys show 80 percent lack trained staff, emergency-preparedness plans for their collections, or both. Disaster Plan Research and Writing begins with the creation of disaster-preparedness teams, the importance of ongoing planning, employee safety, board participation and insurance. Participants will learn everything they need to draft their own disaster-preparedness plans. They also will be required to incorporate colleagues in team-building exercises.

A written disaster-preparedness plan is not only a good idea, it's also a requirement for accreditation. In the second half of the course, instructor Terri Schindel reviews and provides input as participants write plans that outline the procedures to follow in various emergencies. The completed plan prepares museums physically and mentally to handle emergencies that can harm vulnerable and irreplaceable collections. You will have a completed institutional disaster-preparedness and response plan at the end of the course.

Course Outline:
1. Introduction to Disaster Planning
2. Disaster Team
3. Risk Assessment and Management
4. Health and Safety
5. Insurance
6. Documentation
7. Prioritizing Collections
8. Writing the Disaster Preparedness Plan
9. Emergency Procedures
10. Disaster Response
11. Emergency Procedures - Recovery
12. Emergency Procedures - Salvage
13. Emergency Procedures - Salvage Techniques and Guidelines
14. Emergency supplies and location of regional resources
15. Appendices: What to put in them
16. Next steps: planning drills and further resources
17. Conclusion

Logistics:
Participants in Disaster Plan Research and Writing work at their own pace. Instructor Terri Schindel is available at scheduled times for email support. Opportunities for interaction include forums and scheduled online chats. Each section includes a written assignment that becomes support material for drafting an actual disaster preparedness plan. Materials include readings, lecture notes, links to relevant web sites and handouts. The course is limited to 20 participants.
Required Textbook:
Disaster Planning I uses the required textbook Steal This Handbook! A Template for Creating a Museum's Emergency Preparedness Plan, which is available for purchase at http://www.collectioncare.org/tas/tas.html

MS205/6: Disaster Plan Research and Writing lasts eight weeks. To reserve a spot in the course, please pay at http://www.collectioncare.org/tas/tas.html If you have trouble please contact Helen Alten at [log in to unmask]

Student Comments for MS205/6 Disaster Plan Research and Writing:
This course was a great motivator to get me to work on the disaster preparedness plan.

The course exceeded my expectations … I am looking forward to developing a plan that will protect the collections. I really enjoyed the course and plan on taking additional courses in the future.

Terri was good at asking little questions about procedures that I had either overlooked or had not considered, and this got me moving in new directions.

To write the disaster preparedness and response plan, you need to set aside a significant amount of time and this class forced me to do that so I completed most of the plan. Hooray!

A great motivator to get me to work on the disaster preparedness and response plan. I really appreciate Terri's time, knowledge, and flexibility.

The Instructor:
Terri Schindel, graduated from the Courtauld Art Institute, University of London with a concentration in textile conservation. Since 1988 she has taught collections care and preventive conservation to museum staff. She has assisted museums in writing disaster plans for more than a decade and helped develop national standards for disaster-preparedness materials. Ms. Schindel specializes in collection care and preventive conservation and works regularly with small, rural and tribal museums. She is familiar with the many challenges and lack of resources facing these institutions. Ms. Schindel is committed to maintaining the uniqueness of each museum while ensuring that they serve as a resource for future generations.

September Online Classes
MS236: Education in Museums
              Aug 31 - Sep 25, 2009
              Price: $425.00
              Instructor: Karin Hostetter
              Location: http://museumclasses.org/training/trol_classes_ms236a.html

MS243: Making Museum Quality Mannequins **NEW**
              Aug 31 - Sep 25, 2009
              Price: $425.00
              Instructor: Helen Alten
              Location: http://museumclasses.org/training/trol_classes_ms243.html

MS205/6a: Disaster Plan Research and Writing
              Aug 31 - Oct 9, 2009
              Price: $425
              Instructor: Terri Schindel
              Location: http://museumclasses.org/training/trol_classes_ms205a.html

MS217: Museum Cleaning Basics
              Aug 31 - Oct 9, 2009
              Price: $425
              Instructor: Gretchen Anderson
              Location: http://museumclasses.org/training/trol_classes_ms217a.html

MS201: Storage for Infinity: An Overview of Museum Storage Principles
              Aug 31 - Oct 9, 2009
              Price: $425
              Instructor: Helen Alten
              Location: http://museumclasses.org/training/trol_classes_ms201.html

MS109: Museum Management
              Aug 31 - Oct 2, 2009
              Price: $425
              Instructor: Sue Near
              Location: http://museumclasses.org/training/trol_classes_ms109a.html

MS002a: Collection Protection - Are you Prepared? (short course)
              Sep 14-18, 2009
              Price: $75
              Instructor: Terri Schindel
              Location: http://museumclasses.org/training/trol_classes_ms002a.html