From:
Indigo Nights <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Jan 2002 03:37:51 -0800
PLEASE NOTE: I have added an additional employment
resource, fresh from the US Government's FirstGov
site, at the very bottom of my sigfile.  You will find
many items there that could be of value to you.

Pursuant to this weekend's dialogue, the following
lists have just been created AS A SUPPLEMENT TO THIS
LIST and are available for you to join at your
discretion.  Using the facility of Yahoogroups, you
have the option of receiving individual emails,
digest, or no mail, but web reading and posting
privileges.  You must, however, join to access any of
the lists.

Once the lists are up and smoothly running, I will be
looking for a couple of assistant moderators for some
(such that I don't have to be concerned with
administrative tasks when I'm called away) and, in
some instances, I may be looking to hand over the
reigns completely.  While some are created for my
benefit, there are a number that are designed only to
match a perceived list need.

Except to have established them, at this writing, I
have not provided content, but will do so as time
permits.  Do not feel you need to wait for me if you
want to join and have something to post.  Further, any
list that has no members and no posting within 30 days
may be deleted at my discretion.

And, before you ask, I'm a woman.  We are sometimes
known for changing our minds.

The lists follow:

MuseAccess
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MuseAccess/

A forum for museums professionals to discuss access,
inclusion, and accommodations for People with
Disabilities. Included in this discussion will be
ways to help keep your museum in compliance with the
Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA).

MuseAdmin
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MuseAdmin/

A forum for Executive Directors, HR Professionals,
Development Staff, Volunteer Coordinators, Attorneys,
and other Nontechnical (curatorial, archival, etc.)
Staff to review the concerns of keeping a museum
smoothly running.

MuseAssociates
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MuseAssociates/

A place for docents, interns, and volunteers in
museums, planetariums, zoos, aquariums, and botanical
gardens to share their experiences and concerns.

MuseConsult
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MuseConsult

A place for museum consultants and those interested in
securing their services to come together and exchange
ideas.

MuseDocs
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MuseDocs/?yguid=32617823

A repository for documentation and other templates to
be stored and shared between museums professionals and
other staff.

Unlike other museums fora in this series, this forum
DOES allow for attachments, but those providing
samples are asked to upload them to the Files section
of our   homepage,
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MuseDocs   Each lister
is strongly urged to keep virus protections up to
date, and there is no absolute warranty of protection
against potential virii.   It is, for this reason,
most of all, you are asked to please use the Files
option as your first choice when sharing data rather
than run the chance that something which has infected
you may be spread to others.

When producing documents, please advise the group in
which type of software it was created:   Example MS
Power Point 97, MS Access 2000, Adobe Photoshop 5.0,
etc.

MuseFunding
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MuseFunding/

A place where museums professionals, funders, and
interested parties can update one another about
sources of potential funding.

MuseIT
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MuseIT

A place for IT professionals in the museum world to
share ideas, equipment recommendations, software
pointers and shortcuts, and other concerns in keeping
museum programs, websites, and equipment running
smoothly.

MuseJobs
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MuseJobs

A place to post job announcements and share published
job opportunities among those who have an interest in
working in the museum community.   Such postings may
include jobs, volunteering, and internship
oportunities since it has been repeatedly been
communicated by professionals in the field that
networking, volunteering, and internships are key
steps to opening the door to the museum job of your
dreams.

Before asking the list to help you find a job, please
read Deb Fuller's excellent primer on job searching
found on the About.com Art History site
http://arthistory.about.com/library/weekly/uc100301a.htm?terms=Jobs+in+Museums

MuseNews-Art
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MuseNews-Art

A place to stay abreast with current events in the
museum art world

MuseNews-General
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MuseNews-General

An all-purpose forum to stay abreast with current
events for museums who do not fall into the Art,
History, or Science Classifications.   Included in
this category are zoos, aquariums, and botanical
gardens, museums that recognize people and issues, and
anything of interest in the museums world.

MuseNews-History
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MuseNews-History

A place to stay abreast with current events in the
history museums world.

MuseNews-Science
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MuseNews-Science

A place to stay abreast with current events in the
scientific museum community.  Included in this
classification are planetaria.

MuseSmall
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MuseSmall

A forum for those who are involved with small museums
to exchange ideas, successes, frustrations, how to be
creative with less, and much, much more.

MuseStudies
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MuseStudies

This is a safe haven for students considering a career
in the museums field to come together and share their
concerns.

Among other things, here you can:
o Compare notes
o Swap, sell, or trade used textbooks
o Discuss the best schools--and the worst--to help you
in your goal.
o Recommend the best electives to take and/or the
teachers to take them from.
o Address concerns that are unique to your educational
pursuits.
o Share sources of funding to help you pay for school.

Professionalism is strongly encouraged, and flaming is
absolutely forbidden! You may talk about issues, but
not about each other, your professors, counselors, or
museum contacts in a way that is either slanderous or
liable.

A Mentoring forum is being considered for the future
but may not be limited to the Museums profession.
This, however, will have no impact on the current
thread.

=====
Indigo Nights

Looking for a job?  Try: