From:
Kari Carlisle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Jan 2006 09:44:45 -0700
Hi, Brad,
I am compelled to respond to your plea for advice because I was in the EXACT same boat.

After completing my MA in Anthropology and working as an archaeologist for a couple of years, I decided to move from IL to AZ to "break into" the museum field, my lifelong dream. Since no one knew me from Eve, it was impossible to get a job.

For more than 10 years I worked at desks for various companies in sales, customer service and finance. I made really good money and had a nice house, but I was miserable. It got to the point where it was impossible to accept a museum job if one was offered because of the standard of living to which I had become accustomed. I volunteered for a small local museum and did wonderful things for them, but my career was at a dead end. I pulled myself up by the bootstraps and committed to keep plugging away, and I kept applying for every job that came available.

Miracle of miracles, I was offered my current job just last autumn. The catch was I had to move to Utah, to a small town, and take a huge cut in pay. My husband had to move away from his family, and start his photography business all over again. We haven't been able to sell our house in AZ, and we're deep in debt and flat broke until we do. But I'm happy to say I am now in my dream job, I look forward to my beautiful mountain commute, and I have an exciting future to look forward to.

The biggest mistake I made was fluctuating in my motivation. My advice is to keep plugging away, and you'll get your break. My suggestions:
*Network with leaders in the museum/archeo community
*Build a personal support network (friends and family who will help you)
*Keep working at it (part-time, volunteer)
*Stay informed, become/stay a member of state/national organizations
*No regrets - the experience you've have in the last 6 years is valuable!
*Be willing to make changes

I understand how family and job can make it seem impossible, and you absolutely cannot jeopardize your relationships. Just an hour a day or a few hours on a weekend working toward your goals can make a huge difference. I hope my tale inspires you, and please feel free to contact me off-list if you would like to talk. I would be happy to tell you some of the specific things I did in just a short time to get back into it. My best wishes to you!

Kari Carlisle
Museum Curator
Fremont Indian State Park and Museum
(435) 527-4631