From:
Museum Curator <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Nov 2003 10:17:59 -0500
I know the subject of museum cases has made it appearance on the listserv
many times. I have followed all the discussions with keen interest. I need
to ask some more questions which I hope are not too redundant. We are about
to embark on a large renovation of some 6,300 SQ feet of gallery space in
our facility. I have sketched out the type and specifications of cases I
desire for our exhibit galleries and have contacted four separate companies
to get a basic quote on one style of the cases I will need. As all of you
know this is quite expensive. I think I can afford a few nice cases, but
some of the larger cases must be built in, including one which will be 38'
feet long and 3' feet wide. I am wondering if the group could give me some
advice on the following:

What type of wood should I have the contactor build these case from (Medite
II?)

What type of paint and primer(if needed) should I coat these cases with?
Should we use some sort of water base acrylic?

Where can I order museum type glass (Anti-bandit and UV protected)? I have
contacted glass companies around here and can get laminated glass but none
of them know anything about a UV layer.

Any help would be appreciated!

Best Wishes,
Wayne