Date:
Fri, 20 Jun 1997 00:30:26 GMT
Over the last four years I have become fascinated with learning about
the restoration of comic books.  I understand the ethics of
restoration for the purpose of structural integrity rather than
appearance.   Although I've read several books on conservation
techniques, etc, and spent time searching "COOL", the body of
literature is so vast I'm having difficulty finding particulars.  For
example, many comic book covers can be either water washed or solvent
washed, then pressed.  Following a water wash, would the cover need to
be resized?  What type of resizing would be best?
        The purpose of solvent washing is to remove the yellow printing oil
absorbed by the cover from the interior over time.  What type of
solvent should be used?
        Finally, I have several books which were water damaged several years
ago.  Spots on the white borders of the interior are dark brown,
black, and yellow.  Water washing brightens the pages somewhat but
does not remove the stain.  Is there a solvent I can safely use?
        I know there are many conservators out there who do not specialize in
comic books, but who know the answers to these questions.  If you
could point me in the right direction I would really appreciate it.  I
would, of course, be experimenting on books with little monetary
value.
        Thanks.