From:
Angela Kipp <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 28 Apr 2018 11:08:02 +0200
Hi Melanie,

I agree with all what William said, especially on developing a policy
for your case.

Important is to understand that accessioning and ownership is not the
same thing. While you should have well documented ownership to
properly accession something (read: invoice or deed of gift and
transfer of title), you don't lose ownership when you deaccession
something. The desk and chair in your office belong to your museum,
yet, they are not accessioned. If you discover a fake you might decide
to deaccession it because you don't collect fakes but still use it for
educational purposes - you can, it's still yours.

If the objects were deaccessioned but never transfered to another
institution, they still belong to the museum. Make very sure they
weren't promised to another institution and there already exists a
transfer of title but the transport didn't take place, though. If the
collection is still yours, I don't see anything that would speak
against giving a researcher access to the documentation.

Best wishes
Angela

Angela Kipp
Collection Manager
TECHNOSEUM, Mannheim, Germany
www.technoseum.de

Join the Registrar Trek at http://world.museumsprojekte.de/
Follow us on Twitter @RegistrarTrek

This is a personal opinion, my institution can't be held responsible
for anything I write