Date:
Tue, 16 Mar 1999 13:50:47 +0000
Museum discussion list <[log in to unmask]> AT ~INTERNET on
05/03/99 15:57:00

To:   MUSEUM-L <[log in to unmask]> AT
  ~INTERNET@~intergate@~SCC-DIALIN@~SCC-GENERAL@~SCC-NOTES-CCMAIL
cc:    (bcc: Patricia Reynolds/CSC/SCC)
Subject:  Re: [MUSEUM-L] Accessible Museums
 Dear Harry,

 Our auditors followed the criteria in the Museums and Galleries
 Commission _Disability
 Resource Directory for Museums_ (1993) - was this what you were
 thinking of?
 It isn't just for Local Authority Museums.  Not just for museums is
 the Association of
 District Councils policty document _District Councils and Disabled
 People (I'm copying
 this to Guy Purdey at SEMS, as he knows far more than I do on this.

 One of the MGC guidelines is to employ an auditor who has personal
 experience
 of disability, or a partnership where one auditor has personal
 experience.
 My predecessor met this by appointing the Joint Mobility Unit of the
 RNIB - which only got us one disability.  We did, however, audit
 across the
 full spectrum, including learning disabilities/intellectual access.

 Sorry about the line lengths.  I have to put the returns in by hand,
 and
 this stupid programme won't automatically mark quoted material.

 Best wishes,

 Pat

 * * * * * * * * *

 Pat;

 I would very very much interested in the criteria and standards used
 in your audit. Are these additional to those contained in the Audit
 Guide for Local Authority Museums published in the UK in (as I
 recall) 1991?

 As someone who is legally blind and hearing impaired myself, I have
 considerable interest in the matter. I used to be an auditor; there
 was great competition among clients to have an auditor who was deaf
 and blind!

___
Pat Reynolds - Museums Development Officer - Surrey Museums
Consultative Committee
- a service jointly funded by the county, district and borough
councils
130 Goldsworth Road, Woking, Surrey GU12 5LF - 01483 594624 fax 01483
594595