Date:
Mon, 19 Aug 1996 15:55:52 -0400
In a message dated 96-08-19 12:41:18 EDT, [log in to unmask] (Museum
Science Research Librarian) writes:

> OK.  I think some of us are thinking of different things when we say
>  internship.  For me, when I say internship, I mean something where I work
>  40 + per week _on the internship_.  That leaves no time for a part time
>  job, if I want to sleep anytime within a 6 month period.  You can live off
>  of _Jolt Cola_ for so long and then you crash.

Now, I don't want to turn this into a pi**ing contest (can I say that?), but
I cannot believe that I am the only museum professional who has to work a
second job to pay off her loans from grad school. Maybe I've worked 70 - 80
hour weeks for so long, I've gotten used to it, but until pay scales increase
(not likely), I will always have to wait tables on the side! My internship,
which lasted for a year, was full time (easily 50+ hours a week), gloriously
challenging, exciting, etc., and I worked part time at the library, and
carried a full schedule of classes. I went to partime (I could b/c I wasn't
getting paid) during comps. Forgive my attitude, but I would find it heaven
to only have to work 40 hours a week! I really don't understand the concept
of not being able to get a parttime job simply b/c one is working fulltime.

- Adrienne
(soon approaching disgruntled postal worker status)