From:
Cheryl Brookshear <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Jan 2002 20:07:16 -0600
As an aside to this thread, does anyone have information on establishing a local museum organization?  How did it start, do you need to be official (i.e. organized as a 501c3 with corporation papers)?
Our local area has an 'arts' organization that advocates for funding, has an endowment which provides grants, and coordinates schedules and calendars between groups.  Unfortunately, they limit the 'arts' to performing and visual arts leaving out the historical society, children's
museum, planetarium and our wonderful historic house (if I do say so myself).  In the back of my mind is the idea of forming a separate organization for those not as involved with the 'arts'.  Since I am at my first museum job, I haven't seen one of these organizations work up close
to determine how much work it would take and what exactly would need to be done.  Any suggestions?

Cheryl Brookshear