From:
Dennis Comerford <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Nov 1997 10:08:57 -0500
SNIP
>>>Additionally, if you have experience with software used to
restrict Internet access at public access Internet stations, please
let me know what software
you
would
recommend,
or
which
programs
you
would
recommend
against.<<<

Mark
C.
Vang
Freya
Ventures

Mark,

Are you interested in restricted-access software that prevents the
public from accessing certain websites? Or are you interested in
software that prevents the public from bypassing the kiosk internet
activity and accessing the desktop of your computer?

If you are asking the first question, check out SurfWatch, NetNanny,
and CyberPatrol. I think SurfWatch is considered the most robust of
the three.

If you are asking the second question, there are several options. For
the Wintel platform, there is a shareware app that allows a user to
customize the desktop configuration for Navigator, thereby
restricting access to the desktop. The name is "Net-Lock". For the
Mac platform, I have created a  a virtually bulletproof kiosk
solution using Netscape Navigator 3.0x and QuicKeys software. The
solution takes advantage of the well-known but undocumented kiosk
mode feature of Navigator3.0x. However, it only works for websites
run off of a local machine.

For those interested in this solution, I have documentation on the
procedure and will send it to you, gratis. Please contact me
off-list.

Dennis Comerford
Videoconference Coordinator
National Museum of American History