From:
ThomasCJ <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Dec 2000 12:02:49 -0500
The Corning Museum of Glass has never been a "for-profit" institution.
Since its inception in April of 1951 the Museum and its library have held a
charter from The Board of Regents of the University of the State of New York
on behalf of the Education Department of the State of New York as a
non-profit educational corporation.  The Museum's non-profit status has been
recognized by the IRS.  In addition the Museum has been accredited and
recently reaccreditated by the American Association of Museums. The Museum
is also a member of ICOM.  Although the Museum enjoys extraordinarily
generous support from Corning Incorporated we governed by our own elected
Board of Trustees.  On the other hand, the Corning Glass Center was a
for-profit enterprise (not a museum) for many years.  A few years ago the
Glass Center became an integral part of The Corning Museum of Glass and they
are now a single non-profit institution.  I hope this information dispels
any misperceptions about our institution and it's status as a non-profit
organization.

Jill Thomas-Clark
Registrar
The Corning Museum of Glass

On Thu, 7 Dec 2000, Ross Weeks wrote:

> Add the Corning Glass Museum among numerous others.
> Ross Weeks Jr.

and Patrick Boylan wrote:

I understand that Corning Glass Museum was turned into a separate
non-profit foundation some years ago, 9and is ow a member of both the AAM
and ICOM) though of course it is still supported by the company.