From:
Alan Heaberlin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 Mar 1999 16:09:34 -0800
Linn, In the first place I didn't say
influence...I said recommendation. You know like a
letter, a reference, a friendly telephone call.
I'm sure the potential for much worse exists
everywhere, even where your little ivory tower is
perched. The personal influence in obtaining
significant professional positions cannot be
ignored. To do so is to blindness. Would you
really ignore the recommendation of an important
benefactor?
What you are holding up as a point of reference is
a perfect world. I'm sorry, I live and work in the
real world.
Alan Heaberlin