Date:
Thu, 22 Jul 2004 15:07:23 -0400
Dear John Bing,

Speaking of learning history, your interpretation of 20th century
history is rather spotty. I recommend that peace museums consider
programming in world history to be a key element of lifelong learning
activities.

WW2 was fought over colonies and the natural resources therein. It was
very much connected to oil, especially, which was an important
condition in both the war along the Pacific Rim and Hitler's drive to
the Baku oil fields. (Not coincidentally, a general area that is the
focus of contention by big powers today.)  Oil was very clearly a major
trigger for the Japan-US conflict, and the attack on the US fleet in
Hawaii was connected to the oil embargo of Japan. Certainly one of the
major resources coming out of what is now Indonesia and coastal Vietnam
is oil. c.f. Royal Dutch Shell.

At least some in government in England (such as Churchill) and the US
favored pushing Germany toward the USSR in the hopes of doing it in.
Thus, while Germany began its blitzkrieg in June 1941, the opening a
second front was held up until June 1944. The fact that the USSR
decisively defeated Germany on the 'eastern' front explains both how
that war was actually decided and why a second front in Europe was
finally opened - to try and occupy France and points east before the
Red Army could.

Chamberlain wasn't trying to secure peace in Europe as some abstract
concept, he was trying to buy some time for England to prepare for the
coming conflict.

If anything, the maneuvering - as well as the real shooting in China,
Ethiopia and Spain - by the so-called Allied and Axis powers before the
main hostilities commenced is a clear example of how it didn't really
matter who fired the first shot. As Clausewitz observed in general and
a century earlier, the coming war was the continuation of their
politics by other, violent, means.

-L.D.