From:
Riva Feshbach <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Apr 2002 11:24:45 -0500
In addition to conservation issues, taking photos in exhibits is
often restricted because institutions understandably prefer to
maintain control over the reproduction and dissemination of images of
their collections.

Like "bootleg" recordings of concerts, bootleg photography of
collections is never done under ideal conditions, so institutions
worry about cruddy reproductions of their work being circulated.  To
say nothing of the loss of the revenue that comes through fees for
photography and rights of reproduction.

I know...I know...most people taking snapshots in exhibits are doing
it for their scrapbooks not for publication.

Riva Feshbach

--
Riva Feshbach
Exhibits Manager