From:
Melissa Heaver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Dec 1998 08:38:27 -0500
     Bridget:

     In my spare time, I work with an antique fire apparatus museum outside
     of Baltimore, MD (actually, I married into the family that started it,
     and of course, got sucked in to volunteering there. But that's another
     story....).

     I used SNAP for Dos for c. 9 years, and really liked it. However, my
     volunteers had problems trying to write reports, and had some problems
     dealing with the Q&A underlying database. So, I looked around and
     ended up purchasing PastPerfect.

     I really like it! I am involved with software purchases and testing
     where I work normally, and I think have looked at every museum
     collections program on the market. For smaller institutions, those on
     a tight budget, or an organization that is looking for an "all-in-one"
     program that deals with Membership, Collections Management, Libraries,
     etc., PastPerfect definitely fits the bill. My library volunteers
     learned how to use the software in under an hour, and find it easy to
     use.

     I haven't bought the digital module yet, but that is strictly because we
     are still cataloguing the collections (everything is in my husband's head)
     and we need to get our records straight first before we rephotograph,
     digitize, whatever.

     I think support is fabulous on this system. I even had my SNAP collections
     and library databases converted, and found there were few problems or
     glitches with the switch.

     If you haven't already, purchase the demo disk, which is really helpful in
     showing you what the system can do. Also, look at their Web Page, as it has
     some good info. available. Its: www.museumsoftware.com

     Feel free to e-mail me if you have specific questions.

     Melissa Heaver
     Director-Museum Collections
     National Trust for Historic Preservation

     &

     Registrar
     Fire Museum of Maryland