From:
Tracie Evans <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Feb 2005 08:57:12 -0600
Joyce-
I would strongly recommend that you start with a collections database
software program.  It may seem easier at first to use Excel, but the
volunteer staff will not realize all the different types of information that
NEEDS to be recorded along with the object.  I have worked in several
institutions were well-meaning volunteers ran the organization for years and
unknowingly "lost" much of the information about the objects because they
did not realize they should have recorded it.  When objects first come into
the museum in the best time to get the objects history.  Therefore, I would
recommend Past Perfect.  It is easy to learn and they offer very good
training programs.  In addition, their staff is very friendly and willing to
walk someone through a section they do not understand.  I would also
recommend if there is someone in your community who is trained in
Collections Management that they ask for some guidance on how/where to enter
their data in the program.  It can seem overwhelming at first, but once a
volunteer understands what the various fields are asking for it is easier to
enter the data.

Hope this helps.  Please feel free to contact me if I can assist you
further.
Tracie Evans