Date:
Fri, 28 Jan 2000 15:58:08 -0600
Anna,

Several months ago I accompanied my daughter's Brownie troop on a sleepover
at the Durham Western Heritage Museum in Omaha, NE.  We had a great time.
That particular night was limited to girl scouts only and had scout leaders
from the local council helping to keep things organized.  They (the girl
scouts) are VERY experienced in running these type of events.

Several weeks later I heard the museum did the same event for boy scouts
(our troop leader has one of each).  She said the boys did exactly the same
program the girls did in about HALF the time (I felt rushed as it was) and
had time left over for a rousing game of dodge ball!!

The program was designed around a special exhibit the museum was featuring:
a traveling show of mechanized dragons.  Our evening's events were related
to dragons.  We made long Chinese New Year parade-style dragons and then
paraded around.  We made paper bag dragon puppets.  We learned about dragon
constellations.  We toured the special exhibit.  Our last event was a
non-dragon related written "history treasure hunt" through the museum
looking for answers to questions on a worksheet.  All in all the evening was
quite fun.

The Henry Doorly Zoo in Omaha also does sleep over programs.  I've been told
the best part is sleeping in the tunnel with sharks swimming around and
above you.  It's not for me.

Good luck,
Sarah Tuttle