From:
Jay Heuman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Feb 2002 11:36:25 -0600
Hi Jerry & Anne:

Just be careful about the colored dyes which might stain the
displayed object/artifact.  Some cheaper brands of
embroidery thread have dyes and transfer easily.

One can soak the threads in cold water to get out much of
the excess dye.  One might have to refresh the water a few
times to get all the excess color out, so choose a darker
color because some fading will occur.   When the water comes
out clear, squeeze the excess water out of the threads and
let the threads air dry.  (I used such embroidery thread for
displays when I volunteered at a puppetry museum and living
history museum.)

Sincerely,

Jay Heuman, Visitor & Volunteer Services Coordinator
Joslyn Art Museum, 2200 Dodge Street, Omaha, NE, 68102
342-3300 (telephone)     342-2376 (fax)       www.joslyn.org