From:
Leonard Will <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Mar 1998 20:56:41 +0000
In article <v04003a08b13d76c44733@[198.59.157.11]>, John Chadwick
<[log in to unmask]> writes
>I seem to remember that there is AAM had, at one time, amd maybe still
>does, an official definition of a museum. It included a collection, public
>access, regular hours, etc.

In case it is of interest, the definition used by the UK Museums and
Galleries Commission as a requirement for its museum registration scheme
is the one adopted by the UK Museums Association in 1984:

        "A museum is an institution which collects, documents,
        preserves, exhibits and interprets material evidence and
        associated information for the public benefit"

Each of the terms in this definition is expanded in a series of notes in
the MGC's "Registration guidelines" document dated 1995.

Leonard Will
--
Willpower Information       (Partners: Dr Leonard D Will, Sheena E Will)
Information Management Consultants                 Tel: +44 181 372 0092