From:
Sally Baulch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 May 1996 13:44:00 -0500
On Thu, 2 May 1996, Matthew Linke wrote:

> Hi all.
>
> For those of you who have "advisory boards," I am curious-- what is the
> professional make-up of the boards?  Doctors, teachers, parents, etc?
> What, in your opinion, is such an entities greatest strength (or use?), and
> what is their greatest weakness (or hindrance)?.

I recently heard of a neat program run by the Fort Worth Museum of
Science and History.  Their advisory board is made up of 40 people in
communities where the Museum wants to become active.  In no way is this
board tied with fund raising--it is simply a good will board.  This board
meets four times a year with all staff in an informal dinner/snacks and
an update on "what we're doing at the museum."  The board has built a
"we belong here" relationship with the Museum.  Board members have
brought their companies' adopt-a-schools to the Museum, etc.

Board members are not generally CEOs, but normal folk who are
active in communities: Librarians, PR people, homemakers, teachers, CEOs
or staff, CPAs, etc.  What is offered to these folks are chances to
see behind the scenes, notices about upcoming special events, etc.

Talk to Charlie Walter, Senior Vice President, Fort Worth Museum of
Science and History.

Sally Baulch
Texas Memorial Museum
Austin