From:
John Martinson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Jul 2005 11:13:23 -0600
IMHO, and I am sorry to disagree, but separation of Church and State is not allowing the government to enforce, create or accept any or just one church.  And yes, I understand it is more than tthat, but it has nothing to do with a private (or even public) museum putting on an exhibit, displaying or providing learning experiences to the public on a point of view such as if man evolved from a lower life form or created by a Higher Being.

There is also constitutional rights of free speech, and part of that would imply to museums having the right to present any point of view it deems necessary, supporting its mission or simply providing the public with both sides of the story so the visitor can learn both views and make up their own mind.  Isn't that the process/purpose of museums and the learning process?

I'm sorry, but I cannot see anything in the Constitution that mentions that a museum "cannot" create exhibits or discuss learning programs about where man came from, be it from a higher intelligence or from the Big Bang or out-of-the-swamp theory.    Saying public schools and museums can only discuss, teach or exhibit only one theory [such as evolution, but not religion] is an invalid claim or deduction.

Our Founding (USA) Father's writings are full of comments of a higher being, creator, or God, and no where do they say that God or religion cannot be discussed, exhibited in a museum or that museum cannot have an outside organization come in and use their establishment to express another point of view.  I think you find suppression of thought or different points of views coming from Hitler or other types of governments (as mentioned, previously in these postings), not in a country that is suppose to allow freedom and teach all points of view.  Because a museum receives public funding should not stop it from expressing all points of views or is the government stopping expression of thought and speech?

"Question with boldness even the existence of a god." - Thomas Jefferson (letter to Peter Carr, 10 August 1787)

Simply, putting on an exhibit, lecture or whatever in a museum, is a valid approach to questioning the "existence of god", plus allowing a forum for expression and the learning process.  Having (or is it forcing???) only "evolution" seems to me to be returning to the jolly good ole' days of King and force.  That's one reason I was happy just celebrate the 4th of July yesterday.

What joy I have in going into a museum where THEY do not make up my mind (through their exhibits or programs) by cramming down my throat a specific view they support, but fail to present more than one or different avenues of approach to how something is or came to be, so I can learn or draw new thoughts into my life and thought process.   By not allowing more than one view * isn't that exactly what a museum would be doing?   And that is not a proper way to "educate" and allow the public to learn.   Museums have no right to say this is that and you cannot do learn both views, nor is it the governments!

How sad that any nation would allow such "force" concepts, in that only one theory or belief can be taught, and that is what I am hearing by some on this list such as only science can be taught in a museum.  God! (excuse the expression) that is a totally illogical approach to true learning!

"That religion, or the duty we owe to our Creator, and the manner of discharging it, can
be directed only by reason and conviction, not by force or violence; and therefore all men
are equally entitled to the free exercise of religion, according to the dictates of conscience."   - Patrick Henry (Virginia Bill of Rights, June 12, 1776.)

What better place to carry forth that idea than in the halls of learning (schools AND museums).  But *- some say not in either?  Then where?  Isn't it wrong (not singling out anyone now) to stifle free thinking and learning?  Who is to say that science and religion cannot go hand-in-hand, and that someday they may someday just "merge" as one?  Really, they both deal with theory----and unconcluded fact *- and rest on faith until another theory or archaeological site pulls up more evidence.

Thomas Jefferson to Van der Kemp, 1820 wrote:

"The genuine and simple religion of Jesus will one day be restored: such as it was preached and practised by himself. Very soon after his death it became muffled up in mysteries, and has been ever since kept in concealment from the vulgar eye. To penetrate and dissipate these clouds of darkness, the general mind must be strengthened by education".

Again, let us NOT forget that is the purpose of museums to educate * and surely they should not be bound by the government, museum boards or personal opinions on achieving that direction.   It is not their duty to teach all truths or theories, allowing the public to learn and gain their own insight on what philosophy, theory, fact or reality to follow?  There is no law that states that "religion can only be taught in churches" and not in museums or schools.   And to this individual, teaching where man came from be it from a God or from the swamp, is not teaching religion.  If museums start baptizing and annoiting or speaking in tongues * then this guy will worry!

Indeed, teaching a one-sided point of view (be it creationism or evolution) is a totally erroneous approach to the mission of museums as a "hall of learning," and presenting a one sided, slanted story is not the true approach to teaching and the learning process.  I would NOT consider that museum to be a museum where one is force to accept their point of view.

John
Boise, ID (that is Idaho)

This discussion, while interesting, has moved far from the original point .
. . and has not produced new insights.
(snip)

.....Where there is heartburn is over what should be taught in public schools,
sponsored by government museums, etc.  As the ID perspective is based on
religion, and the USA still has a separation of church and state (last time
I checked), it does not belong in public schools, government museums, etc.
Ultimately, museum professionals have mission statements to follow, boards
to direct or advise our activities, and audiences to serve.  Whether you are
at a government-sponsored or private museum, you'll develop (or wait until
you hear) official policy regarding intelligent design.  If you don't agree
with your museum's policy, you'll fight it or seek employment elsewhere.

It's really that simple.

Best,

Jay Heuman
Curator of Education