Date:
Thu, 27 May 1999 11:59:51 EDT
Dear List,
        From my experience art and/or artifacts can be displayed next to
hands on
activities, so that children get the best of both worlds. We have a
Gallery/Art Studio area. It is all one big room but two different areas. The
galley is painted a different color, and the floor is carpeted. The art
studio has linoleum floors, three big "art room" sinks (two kid's level one
adult level), a wall of cabinets to store supplies. Nothing else is built
in, so we can change the lay out as needed. In the gallery we have displayed
art by Burt Long,  Leroy Archuletta, David Daiz; art from a Russian Art
school; art from a Czech art school; a Pope's Medal; Purple Heart; two
Supperbowl rings, and many other artifacts and artworks. We will open an
exhibit of Chi Watts work on June 15th, currently we are exhibiting 12
bronzes from the San Angelo Museum of Fine Arts. We have never had a CHILD
damage a piece of art. In the art studio they create their own art using
many different media. There are few  media that we are unwilling to try and
those are either safety or time considerations (i.e. we don't do ceramics
with children here, because we don't have a kiln instead that type of work
is done in classes at the Fine Arts Museum). We also have over 470
children's books available to our patrons, and have lost only 1 book in 5
years and that was due to water damage that had nothing to do with our
patrons.

Kimberly
CAM Administrator
San Angelo Museum of Fine Arts and Children's Art Museum
P.O. Box 3092 San Angelo, TX
915/659-4391

Museum-L" (without the quotes).