From:
Erin Gerrity <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Jan 2007 18:16:03 -0500
We are working with a design firm to develop a new long-term installation
for our museum. The firm submitted a reasonable proposal to our director
outlining the details of the project. In reading it we noticed the following
statement: "All documents produced by (the design firm) under this agreement
shall remain the property of (the design firm) and may not be used by the
client for any purpose without the written consent of (the design firm)."
This stipulation confused us because typically with work for hire, our
museum has owned the copyright. We feel that our ideas will be incorporated
equally, if not more so, in the final exhibit design and therefore we should
at the very least share the copyright.
Before we bring it up with the firm, I would like to ask if anyone out there
has experience with this sort of thing and if their stipulation seems like
standard practice or not. Thanks in advance for your responses!

Erin Gerrity
Portland Museum
Louisville, KY