From:
Deb Fuller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 May 2004 16:41:02 -0700
--- Anne Sawicki <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> I mean, come on folks, it ain't really an "entry-level job" if
> you want someone with all that previous professional experience!  Maybe there
should be some clarification here---In my opinion, the word "entry-level"
should only be applied to the most basic beginning-level positions. If you want
someone with more than the most rudimentary experience, then don't advertise it
as an entry-level job.

With there being a glut of museum people out there and more getting churned out
each year in the various master's programs, 3-5 years of experience is a
screen-out factor, not a requirement for the job. Yes, most of the jobs
advertised could be done by people with undergrad degrees, let alone people
with masters degrees. But why take a greenhorn fresh out of school when there
are tons of experienced professionals out there who are applying for the job?

To nip this rant in the bud before it turns into a full-scale pity party (not
to be unsympathetic, but this thread pops up about twice a year when students
are graduating and getting their first round of rejection letters), I strongly
suggest you go to my unofficial guide to finding a museum job kindly posted at:

http://arthistory.about.com/cs/forprofessionals/a/debsguide.htm

I'll post Tip #8 for the list:

8. You're competing with people with Master's degrees and 5 years of
experience. Get used to it. You may be just as competent to do the job as the
next guy but his MA with 5 years of experience will get his foot in the door
while it slams on yours. Keep applying for jobs but volunteer, intern or work
part-time to get you that experience. If you want to be a curator of pre-Celtic
French Impressionist painters, you'll have to get an advanced degree in
pre-Celtic French Impressionist painters. Museum educators usually have
advanced degrees in either a subject area and/or education of some sort.
Exhibit designers usually have degrees in architecture or design. Other fields
like development or computers can have backgrounds from a variety of fields but
will have experience in their area. If you only have a bachelor's, don't expect
much. Bite the bullet, get those student loans and get an advanced degree.
Regardless of what degree you end up with, you'll still need experience.

Happy job hunting!!

Deb