From:
Diane Hutsell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Jun 2007 12:13:13 -0400
We just implemented a Jr. Docent Program here so we've got a couple of
thoughts for you. Our docents are more than just docents...they help in in
just about all aspects of the museum. First...ages. We've set it at 12-18
but I had thought to make the age even higher because we have one 12 year
old who is just not mature enough for anything we give him. However, we also
have a just about to turn 12 year old boy who is one of the most mature kid
I've ever met and a 12 year old girl who is more mature than a couple of our
16 year olds. So I would handle it on a case by case basis. The one thing I
would have done differently would be not to make is so inclusive to "weed
out" instances like this. But then that opens up a entirely new can of
worms. Definitely get recommendations from each child's teachers. We require
at least 3. We started out with 20 kids, which seems like a huge number, but
after 6 months we're down to about 7 really good reliable kids. We also had
a lock-in at our facility were they received most of their initial training
and so that the kids could get to know each other and more importantly we
got to know them. We played team building games (although I don't think the
kids realized this) and it was a good measure of each child's maturity level
and sociability and we were able to gage what type of responsibilities they
were given. All in all, its worth the hard work! We've got a new group of
kids/parents/grandparents/friends who come to our museum that would not have
thought to come in any other circumstance. And it has gotten us some great
free publicity.

Diane Hutsell
Executive Director
Living Heritage Museum