From:
Jennifer Holt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Jan 2008 11:37:05 -0600
If you saw the incident you would have seen that they did provide her with
gloves.  Unfortunately that seemed to translate for her as okay to grab and
wave around the objects as long as she had the gloves on.  I agree that
there should have been some object handling discussion/training prior to the
segment--but do you think the Oprah organization actually provided the
Smithsonian staff with the opportunity to do that?  I wouldn't be surprised
if the Smithsonian staff hadn't had the opportunity to speak in person with
Ms. Winfrey until they were "on" and it was too late to stop her at that
point.  These things should have been discussed and planned for before the
shoes ever left the museum.  Maybe gloves should NOT have been provided to
non-staff members because it only encourages handling?  Maybe the shoes
should have been kept in a plexi container so they could be seen but not
touched?

Jennifer

Jennifer Holt
Curator