Date:
Wed, 24 Jan 1996 13:33:10 CST
A deep sigh... At the risk of being flamed, I need to support
Diane Gutenkauf's postings about the use of expert advice.  I
find museum-l a terrific place to share information and some
of the most important of that information is the names of experts
for me (and others) to contact.  As custodians of the collections
under our care it behooves us to make sure whatever we are doing
does not harm the collections.  I have spoken to many experts -
pest control, conservators, fine arts transporters - who are generally
happy to talk for 10 or 15 minutes about specific problems.  The
difficulty, of course, is finding those people.  Which is why
(here's _my_ soapbox) I think the best reply to questions on the
list is to respond directly to the questioner with a recommendation
of who to talk to (and sometimes a personaly referral helps).  To
that end, if the person dealing with wasps will contact me directly
I will give them the name and telephone number of a pest control
expert who works extensively with museums, historic houses and
libraries and who will be happy to talk to you on the telephone.

Janice Klein, The Field Museum