From:
Katherine Child <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Jul 2001 08:30:06 -0700
Lori,

You indicate that the items you wish to dispose of are outside of your mission. Is this mission written down and formally adopted by your board? Do you have a collections policy. This is a written policy that states what you collect, under what circumstances you will accept an item for the collection, under what circumstances you will dispose of items from the colleciton, how that disposal will take place, etc. You should really have this policy in place before you make any decisions about what you are disposing of and where those items will go. It does sound like the organization you're talking about would not be the best place for these items, but if you have a policy you can justify your decision (and you will be prepared to answer donor questions about it now and in the future. AASLH published (many years ago) a good leaflet with step by step suggestions for a policy. You can contact them at aaslh.org.

http://www.shopping.altavista.com