From:
"Scott D. Peters" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Feb 2002 13:38:24 -0500
Susan-

Thanks for the heads up on parchment and steaming.
At the NJ State Archives, we had a great many parchment documents that
needed to be flattened so they could be filmed. They were humidified and no
harm was done. The project supervisors authorized the procedure and nothing
was mentioned about any detrimental effects on the parchment.
If this can not be done to a wrinkled/rolled/creased parchment document in
order to flatten, then what recommendations do you have? I had a parchment
deed under glass and weights for the better part of two weeks and it didn't
produce the desired results.

Also, let's make sure we're clear about what humidification is and whether
steaming is synonymous.
Humidification as I have known and practiced it is the process of placing
documents in a moist microclimate so that the document absorbs enough of the
ambient moisture to become pliable. You are not trying to make them wet.
Humidification is a gradual process.
Steaming, as I have understood it, is best for removing wrinkles from
clothing. You should never steam a document as you would be putting far too
much moisture into the item too quickly. Documents should never be conserved
with a clothing steamer or an iron (I've heard someone recommend that!)

A basic homemade humidification chamber will contain only a modest amount of
water anyway, and it is not coming in _Direct_ contact with the documents.
The steam rises from the water source and fills the chamber. Using a baker's
rack with the items laid on individual racks adds another layer of
protection. The steam from the water source cannot directly penetrate the
items because the rack on which they lay is shielding them.
Steaming almost always implies the steam comes in direct contact from the
top down. And usually very concentrated steam at that.

Scott D. Peters
Research Director/Archivist
Ocean County Historical Society
26 Hadley Ave., P.O. Box 2191
Toms River, NJ 08754-2191
(732) 341-1880

"Telling the Stories of Ocean County"

Historically Speaking
ALHFAM -FPIPN vice-chair for trivia, errata and miscellany

"The ordinary distinctions in society are often vague, and imply no just
pre-eminence: rank and titles are
adventitious things and instead of designating merit or virtue, are
frequently the baubles of imbecility, or
the sparkling decorations of meretricious pageantry"

William Griffith, on behalf, and by order of the New-Jersey Society for
promoting the gradual Abolition
of Slavery, Twelfth Month (December) 20th, 1803