From:
Randy Dipner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 Apr 1999 15:02:43 -0600
Let me introduce myself. I am the president of a small information
technology firm in Colorado. We specialize in knowledge management
related issues with a particular focus on disability.

We are currently involved in a research project based on the premise
that people with disabilities find it very difficult to acquire the
information necessary to decide whether a destination (like a museum) is
accessible (in all the dimensions of this term). We are identifying the
set of material that people from different disability groups need to
make informed choices about destinations as well as their preferred
methods for reviewing that information.

We developed a very early prototype of the sort of information required
for the World Alpine Ski Championships at Vail, Colorado. We are
currently beginning a second prototype for an interior display venue
(like a museum) for the Colorado Ocean Journey.

It seems to me that what we are doing has an intersection with the whole
museums and the web area. This includes not only what museums should
publish about their accessibility, but also providing virtual visits as
an alternative for people with disabilities.

I am curious as to whether there is interest in this special focus
within the museum list.

--
Randy Dipner
President