From:
Jim Angus <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Dec 1994 09:10:37 -0800
>I work at a university museum with free internet service.  Unfortunately,
>we have not had ethernet connections.

At present, we don't even have a network!  You don't need one.  I do all my
work on the net via a dialup modem (14,400 bps) to USC, who has generously
provided us with disk space until we get our own network in place.

>They are being installed now.  We
>are looking into creating a homepage.  I have never been on the internet
>except in class.  Could you explain several things for me.  What does
>your homepage consist of?

Your homepage consists of a combination of text, graphics, video and sound.
Since we are presently limited to 14,400bps, we use only text and
graphics.  The documents are constructed using a simple and easy to learn
scripting language called html.  You can learn html directly from scores of
web sites (e.g.http://www.ncsa.uiuc.edu/demoweb/html-primer.html).  Most
web browsers also allow you to 'extract' the html document from what you
see on the screen.  This allows you to learn by example.  You see something
you like, you look to see how they did it.

>The university computing department is
>allocating space on one of their servers.  How did you begin?

Make sure you have web browser software loaded on the terminal you'll be
using to access your account.  I used Netscape for the Mac.  It's free if
you belong to an educational institution.  I like it better than NCSA
Mosaic.  Netscape 1.0 is available via anonymous ftp at ftp.mcom.com or at
http://home.mcom.com.

>Did you
>have to learn the html language?

Yes, but it's really easy.  I put together the Museum Home Page in one
night with no prior experience.  However...It took months to gather the
information!  So you need to start gathering information immediately, and
take a look at other people's pages to get an idea of how to organize the
information and to see what you like.  Then, you write the html documents
(the easy part).

>Did you export info from your
>administrative lan?

Sorry, I don't understand this question.

>Can you track the number of people accessing your
>homepage?

It is possible, and I plan on doing it after we get our own server.  Many
of these 'extra' functions require software to be loaded on the server.
Since the server isn't under my control, I'm limited at this time.

>Any information you can give will be greatly appreciated.
>Thank you.
>
>   Jacki Anderson

Jim

Jim Angus