From:
Amy Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Mar 2000 12:01:23 EST
To anyone who is familiar with South American ceramics:
I am trying to identify a vase located in our collection.  The only information we have is the date it was donated (1944) and a description of its physical appearance.  We do know it is from Peru.
The vase is almost 10 in. high and 5.5 in. wide. It is earthenware and has no glaze or slip designs.  The body of the vase is shaped like an oval gourd.  The neck flares at the top and just below it, the figure of a frog is sculpted onto the base, wrapping around the entire vase.
Any thoughts?  If not, any resource recommendations?  I have a couple books on Peruvian art on reserve and have searched the web high and low.
Thanks so much,
Amy Miller
Collections Research Assistant
The Louisville Science Center