From:
Audra Oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Aug 2000 17:23:59 -0600
Hello everyone, especially Bill Lewis (belatedly, eh?)
After some contemplation, I jumped into this one earlier only to have my
message rejected.  Rather than taking the hint, I will try once again to add
memories from my distant past to this discussion.
Back in the stone age when I was first tackling graduate school, the state
legislature prohibited the two state universities from offering the same
graduate degrees.  Therefore, the university in one town offered an MFA (two
year degree) and the university in the other town offered an MAA (two year
degree.)  The MA was a one year degree which was regarded as a handy thing
to have for teaching at less than the university level.  The MAA and MFA
degrees were later changed to three year degrees.  The MAA and MFA were
regarded as terminal - which meant you didn't have to pursue any additional
formal education to be recognized by academia.  It only felt like death
while you were actively enrolled!