From:
Allison Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Jul 1997 08:46:13 -0500
Dear Museum-L'ers
We have a 5' x 6' tapestry that was found on campus, that was partially damp
and moldering on a basement floor.  We have successfully dried it out
(thanks to a nice, warm, windy day, a ledge, and sandbags to hold it down,
yah, we do what we can......it gave our student guard the opportunity to
work on his tan...).

From the looks of it, the tapestry is wool, with a linen backing.  The mold
is visible only at the bottom, border area of the tapestry (an approximately
12" x 6' moldy area), mostly on the linen backing, but also visible on the
front, decorative wool area.

How can I get rid of the mold and smell?  Someone suggested baking soda and
a vaccuum, (I do know how to safely vaccuum textiles with a screen....) but
what are your suggestions?

Allison
Allison A. Smith                        Patrick and Beatrice Haggerty Museum of Art
Registrar                               Marquette University
[log in to unmask]           Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA