From:
Stephen Ringle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Jan 1997 18:23:39 GMT
I developed a system of re-usable temporary walls many years ago. In brief:

Walls were constructed of 3/8" 4x8' or 4x12' plywood panels.  Each panel was
nailed to its own frame of supports on the back of pine 1x4's, one up each
edge, and a horizontal at top, bottom and every 4' between.

Lined up in a row face down on the floor, bolted through the adjacent 1x4's,
and then stood up: this made one face of a wall, any multiple of 4' wide.
Walking the wall face up to vertical position sometimes took several people,
including one or more on the "back" side to receive the panels and keep them
from falling back over the other way.

Another similar array of panels was assembled and stood up facing the other
way: the other face of the partition.  These two faces were then joined by
1x4" braces and diagonals nailed to the 1x4's in the interior, and an end cap
of 24" wide 3/8" ply was placed over each open end to close up the open end.

We contstructed walls 2' thick in this way, wide enough to be stable if free
standing, and for a carpenter to scoot around inside.  Sometimes these
partitions butted into the exterior walls of the gallery, or into each other.
We taped the seams and joints with white masking tape and painted over
everything.  No messing around with joint compound.

When the show closed we stripped off the tapes, pried off the end caps,
removed the internal bracing and laid each face down, removed the bolts, and
finally carried each 4x8' panel w/ 1x4 frame off to storage, or re-configured
them for the next show.

It was all kind of quick and easy, not "slick," but very economical and
efficient.

G'luck.

      Stephen B. Ringle, Registrar             [log in to unmask]
      University of Maine Museum of Art
      5712 Carnegie Hall, Room 109              vox: 207-581-3257
      Orono, Maine   04469-5712                 fax: 207-581-3083