From:
Rick France <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Jun 1996 16:11:19 EST
The Indpls. Zoo does Limited Criminal History (LCH) checks on all
applicants (except minors).  We started doing this in 1989 & feel it
pays off.  You don't find anything on most apllicants, but it helps
keep you informed about who you are potentially hirimg.  Even if
there is some record, you have info to make an informed decision
about whether to hire or not.  It will help avoid surprises or
embarassments later.  It's also a point with employees to show some of
measures you are taking to help maintain a safe work environment
(addressing workplace violence issues), & helps ijn relationship
with ins. company (loss control item).  THis includes our attempt to
get an out-of-state background check whenevr we can; some states do
not allow background checks for employment.  There is a good guide
avail. for doing this yourself; you can also hire it done through
local sources.

Something more recent: it is possible to get lists of folks in your
with child molesting convictions from the local prosecutor's office.
This is public record & free.  You can then check applicant names
against this list.  The down side is - when the felon has changed
his/her name post-conviction.  But, checking is a good-faith effort
to protect yourself and your audience.

We also started formal drug screening ALL applicants at time of job
offer & hiring is contingent on successful completion of drug
screening.  These items are good point to ask your ins. componay for
credit on workers comp premium rates.  We also drug test employees for
post accident (employees) when he/she requires medical attention
beyond on-site first aid or when property damages exceeds $1,000;
and for just cause. We do not random screen employees.

I'll be happy to discuss in greater detail for anyone wanting more
info.

Rick France
Facilities Director (includes security/safety)
Indianapolis Zoo