From:
Rick Kerschner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Nov 2001 13:10:00 -0800
Dear Astrida,
I highly recommend the Preservation Environmental Monitor (PEM) designed and marketed by the Image Permanence Institute in Rochester, NY.  It is the only datalogger designed specifically for museums, and it has a digital readout of temperature and RH on the logger. The great feature of this datalogger is that it comes with software called "Climate Notebook" that analyzes the data you collect and generates several different reports that are easily understood by collections managers, conservators, engineers, even board members! In other words, it interprets the data it collects instead of just charting it. Of course, charts are included in the reports. They are more expensive than the Hobo's, but in my opinion they are well worth it because of "Climate Notebook." They are currently being field tested in hundreds of museums and historic houses nationwide. They are available for purchase from IPI for around $600 (including the software). I have found both the datalogger and the Climate Notebook software easy to use. The user manuals are well written, and IPI also provides decent e-mail support. You can reach their home page at http://www.rit.edu.

Richard L. Kerschner
Director of Preservation and Conservation
Shelburne Museum
PO Box 10, Route 7
Shelburne, VT  05482
(802) 985-3348 Ext 3361