From:
David Harvey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 May 1996 17:29:36 -0400
Mychalene,

We have been actively conducting Living Historical Interpretation of 18th
century African - American Life for over fifteen years now.  Our interpreters
use a variety of historical settings, reproduction items, and a fully
reconstructed and furnished slave quater at the Carter's Grove Plantation
site.

I would recommend that you first get on the web and go to the new Colonial
Williamsburg Site (http://www.history.org).

From the Home Page you can go to either the "Historical Almanack" or the
"Teachers Resource Area".  I believe that there is a full lesson plan on
African American Life which can be downloaded and which was developed for our
new electronic field-trips program.  There is also an electronic bulletin
Board for school kids to post queries on the electronic field trip topics ,
many of which include subjects on African - American Life.

I also do not want to ignore my nearby colleagues.  The new Monticello web
site (http://www.monticello.org) is fantastic!  You will find tremendous
context in this site which focuses on Jefferson and the daily functions of
his household.  In the additional resources section you can find a list of
topics including resources on slave life at Monticello.

If you want to know what Colonial Williamsburg provides to teachers before
school visit you should contact our Director of School & Group Services at
the Colonial Williamsburg address in my signature block for further
information.

Dave

David Harvey
Conservator of Metals & Arms