From:
Aaron Marcavitch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Jul 1999 15:14:44 -0700
my my MY! Well Laura, being from Pittsburgh, I know
that it has a pretty good arts scene.  It centers
around one particular section of the city, Oakland.
Oakland has all the major universities, museums, and
the folks that will tend to congregate at coffee
houses (which aren't bad people!)  I would try to
contact the Mattress Factory.  They are a newer arts
collaborative, and probably have their finger on the
pulse.  Try the PA Arts Council in Harrisburg, and
they could put you in contact with some folks.

As for a rural area, once you are out of the city (it
is ringed with hills) it becomes greatly rural.  I
lived one hour south from the city on, what basically
was a farm.  If you don't want to go that rural, there
is all sorts of inbetween sorts of places. And ther is
just as much north, east, and west. Just watch out,
the rural folks aren't much for that artsy stuff.
They tried killing it at our high school.

Arts education might be simply a call to the Carnegie
Library (CAR neg ee) or Museum.  They have a fantastic
monopoly on museums and Pittsburgh

As for starting your own organization.  Pittsburgh
could always use that sort of thing, and you could
probably get quite a few grants (I worked in grants
for a time.) However, back to the rural thing. If you
go with Pittsburgh, you should be ok.  Greensburg,
Johnstown, maybe even Washington might work.
Otherwise its tough.  If you could ever do it in a
town called Waynesburg, down near the WVA line, call
me and I will work for you!  I work in preservation
and it kills me to see the town with out any sort of
heritage education program.

Hope I haven't stepped on anyones toes by posting
here, but I wanted everyone to know what the scene is
like and to get the word out about my town, cause it
can use all the publicity it can.  Thanks all!

Aaron
===
Aaron Marcavitch-- [log in to unmask]
http://members.tripod.com/~RWUHP

B.S. in Historic Preservation (99, RWU)
Project Assistant at Public Archaeology Lab, Pawtucket, RI