Date:
Wed, 28 Aug 1996 08:33:54 EDT
Michael has touched a raw nerve ending for the dwindling number
of us who (and not "that") were educated in grammar in a more rigorous -
dare I say pre-electronic, pre-PC - time. Along with the
apostrophe, this verb is the victim of continuing atrocities.
I'll bet that many are not even aware of the rich array of double
entendre involved; as in "I hope to get laid this weekend."
My hypothesis is that much of the causation has been the shift
of usage from written/printed, to oral (and _not_ "verbal"!),
resulting in the confounding of similar sounds. English, and likely other
languages, is "played by ear" any more.
Thus, we find such Spoonerisms as "dribble" for "drivel," "hone
in" for "home in," et cetera ad nauseum.

According to Michael A. Bermudez: