From:
Holly Chase <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Feb 2002 10:41:34 -0500
I am wondering if anyone out there has had experience with using Art-Sorb
sheets in frames and how it worked out for them.

Our museum will soon host an exhibit that requires 50% humidity. Since we
are located in the desert we have a hard time maintaining that relative
humidity - the best we can do in the summer months is about 36-38% but in
the winter it's much lower. It was suggested to us to try a 50%
preconditioned Art-sorb in the frames for the works on paper but I worry
about the impact the humidity would have on the frames themselves as well
as the mat board, and of course the art work itself.

I also am unsure how to use the Art-Sorb - how much to use, how to put it
in, and how to seal it.

We don't know the type of frames the works will arrive in (metal or wood
with gold or just wood). The framed works themselves are from the Ottoman
Empire and consist mostly of calligraphy on paper, gouache and gold on
paper, calligraphy on leather, and  delicate calligraphic leaves (skeletons
of leaves that are gilt and with gilt calligraphy on them). Our lender
hasn't given us much in the way of suggestions.

I haven't contacted the supplier of the Art-Sorb sheets because I have had
very frustrating experiences getting any real response from them in the
past.

Please write to me either on or off the list to let me know what your
suggestions or experience have been.

Thank you for your time,
Holly Chase

Holly C. Chase,  Traveling Exhibitions Coordinator
                          Registration Department

Brigham Young University Museum of Art
Museum website: http://www.byu.edu/moa

North Campus Drive,  Provo, Utah  84602-1400   USA
Phone: (801) 422-8248                    FAX:  (801) 378-1807
E-mail: [log in to unmask]
        or   [log in to unmask]