From:
William Maurer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Nov 1999 21:30:25 -0500
How nice it is when an historic site can get to the point that there is a
full or part time person with the
sole responsibility of writing grants!!! or raising money. And, I think when
your responses come in you will find a list that
begins with the Director writing the grants and doing the development work,
progressing to a development person part time and a grant writer hired for
each project and paid a stipend for writing that specific grant, and then
the ultimate wish of
the Director being the manager, the Curator curating and both giving input
to the development guy or gal and a full time grant writer researching and
preparing the grants.

Now don't quote me on this, but there is no one in the small museum or at an
historic site who has the knowledge and experience to write a grant and most
importantly the enthusiasm for the requested project, than the director or
in
many cases in the smaller sites, the director/curator/one person show.

You know, I almost forgot.  In these smaller sites there may not be a
fulltime director.  Then, in my humble, we are back to the board raising
enough money to bring a fulltime person who will, hopefully, bring
professionalism to the site, get the site on track and raise enough money to
go to step two. Can you really call yourself a museum if you are open on
Sundays only from 1 to 4 pm, April through October?

Accomplishment of the ideal goal is, that the Director and Curators plan
their collections and programs and turn to the
development officer and say, -almost in this tone - "We are going to do such
and such, at a cost of xxx"

If you have the ideal board this method carries into them. "I want to do
such and such, YOU raise the money," -- and they are the primary sources
along with the development group. (Of course there is a lot of love between
all to get away with that tone to the Board!)

Hiring this full time develpment person is a risk and a gamble. They must
have (be given) sufficient time to do their thing. What is the rate now -
return at least three or four times their salary?  So its a crap shoot
unless carefully planned with support from all. But it was also a big step
when you hired that full time director. Now move on.

However, remember the importance of the Board in fund raising.  The tired
saw, Give, Get or Get Off (the Board) is so vry
true except in the smallest, empty pocket site where the Board also dusts,
licks stamps and directs and major policy decisions are which Sunday to hold
the bake sale.

I say this getting ready for Wednesday night - our annual gala. This is the
primary fund raising affair we have each year.
We are now at the point where, yes, I still write the grants, and we have a
part time development person, and by the first of the year a fulltime
development person. Is this great or what? We, director and board, do not
believe this is the end to "our" development tasks, just someone to devote
full time to worrying about it. Our input and direction is still so
important, and this person can channel our development actions for the
betterment of the site.

And now that the mill wheel is almost in place, I can work on getting the
ice house and the root cellar up to par, get another dozen grade schools to
visit and maybe take a weekend off in July. All not worrying where the money
is coming from.

Bill Maurer
Gomez Mill House
www.gomez.org