From:
Steve Pike <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Sep 2004 11:24:45 -0500
Me, too. The best I have heard of was the Francis Scott Key House in Georgetown, which was disassembled in the early 50's and subsequent;y lost. As the Wash. Post observed, It's one thing to lose a house key, but quite another to lose the Key House.

Steve Pike, Director of Museums,
City of Memphis, 3050 Central Avenue,
Memphis, TN 38111-3399
(Phone) 901-320-6371
Assistant (Arlene Abernathy): 901-320-6398
(Cell)  901-601-7628; 901-601-7725
(Fax) 901-320-6391

***SKULLS & SKELETONS
is at the Bodine Exhibit Hall 19 June through
31 October***The Enchanted Forest exhibit follows it
***See NASCAR: The IMAX Experience as well as Australia: Land Beyond Time
at the Union Planter's IMAX.

2005  will be the 75th Anniversary Year
of the Pink Palace!!!

The information contained in this email message may be privileged and
confidential information, intended only for the use of the individual or
entity named above. If the reader of this message is not the intended
or copy of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have
return email and delete the original message at once. Thank you.

>>> [log in to unmask] 09/20/04 04:41PM >>>
In preparation for a meeting of the Professional Standards and Ethics
Committee of AASLH, I am gathering case studies of historic sites that
have deaccessioned or removed historic buildings, or cases in which an
historic site museum has closed and transferred the property to another
organization.

These case studies will help us develop policies on best practices and
professional standards, so please give me examples, stories, lessons
learned, or references so we can help the field.  You're welcome to
contact me off-site as well.  Thanks!

  _____

Max A. van Balgooy, Director of Interpretation and Education |
Stewardship of Historic Sites | National Trust for Historic Preservation
| 1785 Massachusetts Avenue, NW, Washington, DC  20036 | Phone (202)
588-6242 | Fax (202) 588-6232 | [log in to unmask]