From:
John Chadwick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Jul 1997 18:00:42 -0600
On 13 Jul 1997 18:59:43 GMT, jacob<[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>I've found the pefect site with...

>Is it just me, or does this newsgroup seem to be unmoderated?

This list IS UNMODERATED. John Chadwick (or Anita Cohen, or...), our ever-
loving list owner(s), does not interact with each message going to the list.
Doing so would take an inordinate amount of time and really be a hassle.

EASE-HOME, L-Soft International's hosting service for Listservs (where
Museum-L
resides) DOES have a spam-check routine that helps prevent spams from being
widely distributed to the list as well as some routines to help avoid
double-
posting messages.

The listowner does have a few tools to use in handling these types of
situtations, and John has handled past situations elegantly.

Thanks for the followup Steve.  As Steve has mentioned, the List itself does
have a SPAM filter, and it is routinely catching about five postings a day
now. The downside is that the SPAMs start as postings to the newsgroup, so
the newsgroup gets it first. The SPAM filter only prevents SPAMs from the
newsgroup from being distributed to e-mail subscribers.

I have noticed a huge decline in the quality of newsgroups. Several
specialty lists on education research are currently running about 75% SPAM
to 25% legitimate, on topic postings, not enough to bother with anymore.
Too bad that those who are trying to make a fast buck are too stupid to
realize that they are running off any potential client base.

Enough for the soap box now.

--john

John Chadwick
Doctoral candidate, systems analyst