From:
Bill Mulligan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Jul 1998 11:24:33 -0500
At 11:37 AM 7/1/98 -0400, Deb Fuller wrote:

>*sigh*  You've probably never been out of the continental US have you?  In
>some parts of the world, and not just darkest Africa, the most current
>technology they have are 386s.  Heck, when I worked at the Smithsonian, I
>knew plenty of people who were still working with 286s and whole offices
>that didn't have access to e-mail.

        I have in fact been out of the US.  Why would you assume I haven't been --
because I don't agree with you?  Yes, some people don't have access to
e-mail -- I mail things people I know who don't all the time -- but by your
reasoning should we not use e-mail as one way to announce professional
events or communicate until everyone has it?  What's your point.

>Never assume that just because you can access some information, every other
>person that is on the list can as well.  I'd bet there are a fair number of
>people who only have text browsers for the web and have to put up with 2400
>baud connections, right here in the US let alone the rest of the world.

        Why do you assume I make this assumption because I don't agree with you.
Are you saying that because some people only have text browsers, all web
pages should only have text?  What's your point here.

>And I find this attitude of "well everyone else didn't think it was too
>long and had no problems with it" a bit troubling and even ironic.

        What is "troubling" about pointing out that based on response the large
majority of people on the list did not have a problem and that the message
conveyed appropriate information?   I fail to see any irony here either.

>also the list where we are concerned with educating the entire public and
>making museums accessible to everyone and not just able-bodied English
>speaking, educated white males, right?

        I fail to see how you can make this statement based on what I posted.
Using technology to its fullest extent makes things more accessible
potentially to more people regardless of race, language (although the list
is in English, many websites are multilingual).

>Deb Fuller

>Staples &  Charles Ltd.
>225 N Fairfax St.
>Alexandria, VA 22314
>USA
>703-683-0900 - voice
>703-683-2820 - fax

William H. Mulligan, Jr. [[log in to unmask]]
Associate Professor of History
Director - Forrest C. Pogue Public History Institute
Murray State University - Murray, KY 42071-0009
Phone:(502) 762-6571 Fax:(502) 762-6587
Pogue Institute web site:
http://campus.murraystate.edu/academic/faculty/Bill.Mulligan/Index.htm
Personal web site: