From:
Julia Moore <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Apr 2007 10:46:28 -0400
Sarah--

To add to the information below, RFQ responses by an architectural firm
are carefully prepared in response to the specific conditions of the
job. No two qualifications packets by a firm are the same. The firm
selects its proposed project team, presents documentation of past
relevant projects, and answers the RFQ questions set out by the hiring
committee.  For us, it takes one person about 40-60 hours to prepare a
RFQ response, often more people and more time if the committee has a lot
of specific questions.  You might not get a good idea of what a firm can
really do for you if you look at the response to someone else's RFQ.

Also, an interpersonal "vibe" has a lot to do with a successful project.
Sometimes the RFQ packet and the feeling you get from an interview don't
match up.  Sometimes the RFQ packet is really slick and professional but
when you interview with the architect, you get the feeling they aren't
going to be there for you, or that this is not the most important job on
their plate.  And sometimes you meet an architect that you really click
with, but you are disappointed with their packet.  My feeling is that
you should trust the interpersonal vibe more than the RFQ packet,
although seeing the qualifications does help to narrow things down a
bit.

It all comes down to people working with people.  All architects have
similar technical skills, but the combination of client and architect is
what makes a building project into Architecture.

Julia Muney Moore
Public Art Administrator
Blackburn Architects, Indianapolis, IN
(317) 875-5500 x219