From:
Olympicbks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Jun 1996 01:17:19 -0400
Announcement ....
To be sold at auction in the fall of 1996:
A private library on the Ancient and Modern Olympic Games, approximately
6,000 (six thousand) items in 17 languages including Official reports,
programs, guides, maps, books, biographies, etc. as well as material on
the History of Sport. Developed over 25 years it is one of the largest
private collections in the world.
To be sold as one lot, intact, to the highest bidder. Catalog in
preparation now. Inquiries should be directed to:
Harvey Abrams
Harvey Abrams-BOOKS
PO Box 732
State College, PA 16804-0732
Tel:(814) 237-8331
Fax: (814) 237-8332
email: [log in to unmask]
It is interesting to note that the United States does not have an Olympic
museum or library. Efforts to build such a museum in Colorado Springs have
had problems and after a century of the Olympic Movement, such a museum
still does not exist. There are several nations in Europe with nice
collections and others have recently started such museums. I would like to
encourage the development of an Olympic Museum and library in the USA. If
you have any interest or comments to make, please let me know. It would
benefit all Americans if we could encourage the current Olympic sponsors
to donate money to the USOC (or the Atlanta Olympic Committee) to build a
facility and create a foundation to maintain such a facility with the goal
of developing an Olympic archives, museum collection and research library.
A similar library exists in Los Angeles from the money left over from the
Los Angeles Games in 1984, but it benefits only the Southern California
area by design. It is my professional opinion that we need a truly
"national" museum, and it should be located at the headquarters of the US
Olympic Committee, which is in Colorado Springs, CO.
Harvey Abrams
Olympic Games & Sport Historian